2021 UPPER ELEMENTARY STATE COMPETITION RESULTS
1st Place – Ivy Tsao (Robin Yee)
2nd Place – Milanda Liu (Christine Lien)
HM – Emily Feng (Robin Yee)
HM – Randy Jiang (Ching Song)
HM – Elizabeth Ortiz (Robin Yee)
HM – Xin Chen Wu (Christine Lien)
Date: Saturday, October 23, 2021
Location: O’Neill’s Music House, Baton Rouge
Deadlines: Saturday, September 25, 2021
Requirements and Regulations – Piano
1. The student must currently be studying with an LMTA Certified Teacher and be in grade 5 or 6 as of September 1 of the competition year.
2. Students must have passed the appropriate LMTA Rally written test with a minimum score of 90. Students who have not participated in District Rally must be prepared to take their respective written tests prior to the audition. Tests may be administered by the District Rally chairman of the student’s District, or they may be taken at the convention prior to the audition.
3. A minimum of two or a maximum of three compositions must be performed from memory. The music is to be chosen from at least two of the following periods: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionistic, or Modern. Transcriptions or arrangements are not acceptable. The program must be no less than four (4) minutes and no more than ten (10) minutes in length. Contestants WILL be disqualified if their playing time is less than 4 minutes.
4. No reproductions (either by hand or machine) of printed music may be used or provided for the judge. Students will be disqualified from the contest if this rule is violated. The rule is not based on copyright law, but is one made by MTNA and LMTA in the interest of professional ethics.
5. One unmarked (nothing to identify the student or teacher) copy of the music to be performed must be provided for the judge. Measures must be numbered.
6. APPLICATION MUST BE RECEIVED BY SATURDAY, September 25, 2021. Late applications will not be accepted.
7. Completed applications with check for $20.00, made payable to LMTA, should be sent to chairman.
PRIZES: All participants receive a merit certificate. First Place receives a $100.00 Award and Second Place receives a $50.00 Award. Honorable Mentions will be named at the judge’s discretion.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.