2022 UPPER ELEMENTARY STATE COMPETITION RESULTS
1st Place – Ivy Tsao (Robin Yee)
2nd Place – Ai Nguyen (Christine Lien)
HM – Olivia Peng (Christine Lien)
HM – Samuel Lin(Christine Lien)
Date: Friday, September 16, 2022
Location: LA Tech in Ruston
Deadlines: Friday, August 26, 2022
Requirements and Regulations – Piano
1. The student must currently be studying with an LMTA Certified Teacher and be in grade 5 or 6 as of September 1 of the competition year.
2. Students must have passed the appropriate LMTA Rally written test with a minimum score of 90. Students who have not participated in District Rally must be prepared to take their respective written tests prior to the audition. The tests must be administered by the District Rally chairman of the student’s District, or by an LMTA teacher who is appointed by the Chair prior to the audition. Teachers of all participants may not monitor and grade the written test.
3. A minimum of two or a maximum of three compositions must be performed from memory. The music is to be chosen from at least two of the following periods: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionistic, or Modern. Transcriptions or arrangements are not acceptable. The program must be no less than four (4) minutes and no more than ten (10) minutes in length. Contestants WILL be disqualified if their playing time is less than 4 minutes.
4. No reproductions (either by hand or machine) of printed music may be used or provided for the judge. Students will be disqualified from the contest if this rule is violated. The rule is not based on copyright law, but is one made by MTNA and LMTA in the interest of professional ethics.
5. One unmarked (nothing to identify the student or teacher) copy of the music to be performed must be provided for the judge prior to the performance. Measures must be numbered. Failure to comply will result in disqualification.
6. APPLICATION MUST BE RECEIVED BY FRIDAY, August 26, 2022. Late applications will not be accepted.
7. Completed applications with check for $20.00, made payable to LMTA, should be sent to the chair of the competition: Teresa Thomason, 609 West Point Drive, Alexandria 71303. If you have any questions, please email Teresa Thomason at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PRIZES: All participants receive a merit certificate. First Place receives a $100.00 Award and Second Place receives a $50.00 Award. Honorable Mentions will be named at the judge’s discretion.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.